Economics for Education, Employment and Empowerment.
- To provide our students a strong academic foundation in concepts and principles of economics and make them to apply their knowledge to analyse economic issues and policies.
- Encourage and motivate our students for higher education, research, competitive examinations and self employment.
- Motivating them to become entrepreneurs so that they can contribute to the development of the economy.
- Providing career guidance to the students.
- Create awareness among the students with regard to policies and programmes of the government.
The department of Economics is as old as our college. It was established in the year 1982 with the blessings of His Holiness Dr.Sree Sree Shivakumara Swamiji, the founder of Sree Siddaganga Education Society. The department was started with the dynamic leadership of Prof..K.H.Paramashivaiah who was the first HOD of the department as well as founder principal of the college. With his effort, the department was well furnished with the number of books and journals. Late Prof. K.C.Shivananjaiah was the mentor of the department. Their contributions have enriched the department to a greater extent. The teachers served in the department include Prof. C.Nagaraju, Prof. D.R.Mohankumar and Prof. L.Channappa. Presently, Dr.H.P.Veerabhadraswamy is heading the department of Economics and supported by other staff members namely Prof. Mohammed Athaulla and Prof. H.M.Dakshinamurthy.
At present more than 300 students are involved in the study of Economics. From the year of inception, our students are continuously excelled in academic and co-curricular activities. The results of our students are appreciable. The students of our department are equally proficient in sports and cultural activities. They demonstrate their cultural talents regularly in ‘SPOORTHI’ – the Annual cultural Fest of our college.
Course Matrix (2015-16 Onwards)
I Sem BA 1.1 Principles of Micro Economics
II Sem BA 2.1 Principles of Macro Economics
III Sem BA 3.1 Development Economics
IV Sem BA 4.1 International Economics
OEP 4.7 Fundamentals of Economics
V Sem BA 5.1 Indian Economy (Compulsory Paper)
Elective Paper 5.2 (a) Public Economics
5.2 (b) Managerial Economics
VI Sem BA 6.1 Monetary Economics (Compulsory Paper)
Elective paper 6.2 (a) History of Economic Thought
6.2 (b) Agriculture of Rural Economics